Phi Beta Sigma General Board Mandates All Chapters Conduct Anti-Hazing Workshops
As Phi Beta Sigma begin marching towards our next 100 years, we stand proud in the footprints of the legacy our founders envisioned at Howard University. While we prepare to celebrate Conclave Little Rock July 15-19, 2015, a threat known as hazing, a disease that, if not addressed, could plague our beloved Fraternity and threatens its existence.
In 2012, we launched an Anti-Hazing Campaign designed to eradicate hazing and protect Sigma’s heritage. Our goal was to develop initiatives that focus on educating and empowering our Brotherhood to serve as agents of change in the battle against hazing. Our campaign was introduced via a partnership with the National Action Network at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C. As part of the campaign, we developed supporting documents inclusive of a video, held a town hall meeting on the subject, facilitated workshops and encouraged chapters to participate in the National Anti-Hazing Awareness Day held on September 6, 2012; last year the campaign was one week. September 22-28, 2013.
Beginning this Fall, we are introducing our National Anti-Hazing Awareness Weeks (August 25-September 13). During these three weeks, all collegiate and alumni chapters are to host a collaborative Anti-Hazing awareness workshop for its members. The expectation is that the collegiate Chapter President and the Chapter Advisor will facilitate the training with the Alumni Chapter President and the Alumni Intake Chairman serving as facilitators as well.
We recognize the challenges the start of the fall can bring as many chapters are resuming their activities for the first time in months. To assist in executing the Anti-Hazing Campaign within your chapter with ease, we have placed all resources that are needed on the Fraternity’s website…here is a description of the materials that are available:
- An Anti-Hazing Video that the chapters should watch at the beginning of the workshop
- A PowerPoint presentation
- A facilitator guide that walks brothers through the presentation and gives insight on how to deliver the content of the presentation
- A participant’s workbook, designed to provide notes and to expand on the content of the presentation
- A test that brothers must complete after going through the training
- An Anti-Hazing pledge that must be completed at the end of the workshop.
- At the conclusion of the workshop, all Brothers who participate in the workshop should go on iMIS: 1) click on the events channel, 2) click on the Anti-Hazing
Workshop Acknowledgement Agreement link and 3) click “register myself; iMIS is how we will capture the Brothers who went through the training; to receive credit for
the training, please register yourself on iMIS by 9/15/14.
- The GENERAL BOARD HAS MANDATED that all chapters must conduct an Anti-Hazing Awareness Workshop; your Regional Director will not approve MIP if your chapter
hasn’t conducted an Anti-Hazing Awareness Workshop; the Anti-Hazing Workshop must take place between 8/25-9/13. If you have any question on this mandate, please
contact your Regional Director.
- The Fraternity will publish a National Press Release alerting the nation that Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity chapters across the country will do Anti-Hazing Awareness
Workshops during August 25-September 13.
Tips to assist in making the coordination “easy to execute”:
- Collegiate and Alumni chapters are asked to do the workshop collaboratively during a chapter meeting
- Collegiate chapters may ask for assistance from their school’s Greek Life advisor to help facilitate the training; however the Chapter President, Alumni Advisor,
Alumni President and Alumni Membership Intake Chairman must also serve as Facilitators
- Make sure you have downloaded all of the materials needed off the website in advance to support you having a successful workshop
- To assist in achieving 100% member participation in the National Anti-Hazing Campaign, for legitimate reasons that are determined by the Collegiate Chapter
Advisor. If a Collegiate Brother can’t attend, the excused Brother must schedule a meeting to watch the Anti-Hazing video, complete the test and sign the Anti-Hazing
Pledge with the Collegiate Advisor being in attendance. We understand that special circumstances may arise…we ask that you work with your local and regional
leadership to address these issues.
Brothers, this is a great opportunity to live out the creed that guides our actions as Sigma Men. Sigma needs us now, more than ever, to create an environment that allows our Fraternity to flourish for another 100 years.
Thanks for your Support of our National Anti-Hazing Awareness Campaign!