- The BluPrint
Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc., in keeping with its commitment to President Obama’s My Brother’s Keeper Initiative, proudly introduces its I Am My Brother’s Keeper program for 2014-15. Through this program, the Fraternity will adopt a 10-point agenda to address issues impacting men of color in our communities.
Through the I Am My Brother’s Keeper Initiative, Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. will:
- Unveil the Sigma Beta Club’s experiential learning curriculum, Rise and Thunder, during the Congressional Black Caucus. This program is designed to help African-American youth realize their full potential in life.
- Increase the membership of participants in the youth auxiliary program, Sigma Beta, by 20% by 2015.
- Educate 10,000 African American males on the essentials of being engaging and effective mentors to African-American youth, while successfully establishing relationships that will increase community awareness of the potential of our youth and the power of diversity.
- Target Congressional leaders in at least 10 states to support the following legislation:
- National Criminal Background Check System
- Repeal the Gun Show Loophole Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986
- Train and educate 5000 men in the March of Dimes curriculum Building Strong Fathers
- Adopt at least 100 schools throughout the United States, with the purpose of building student literacy and encouraging the student population to work towards closing the academic & achievement gaps that currently exist.
- Provide $1,000,000 in scholarships to men of color
- Sponsor two job fairs throughout the country, providing employment opportunities and training to men of color.
- Sponsor a Business Expo at Phi Beta Sigma’s 2015 Conclave in Little Rock, Arkansas, exposing small businesses and employers to at least 10,000 consumers and job seekers throughout the nation.
- Secure state, federal, corporate and private funding and partnerships to support I Am My Brother’s Keeper, particularly in the following manners:
- Entrepreneurial Development of African-American males
- Alternative Sanction Programs for Juvenile Offenders
- Sigma Beta Club Programming
- Disparaging Drop-out rates of our young men of color
- Technology for security in and around our schools to curb gun violence
10-Point Agenda | How-To’s
- Unveiling the Rise and Thunder Curriculum
- Conference calls coming soon from National Sigma Beta Club Foundation and will be facilitated by Regional Directors of Sigma Beta Club and will take place in two phases. More details will come after these calls have been held and a link to the curriculum will be provided here for your viewing pleasure.
- Increasing membership in Sigma Beta Clubs
- For more information on starting a Sigma Beta Club for your chapter, and a flow chart of the entire process, please go to: Sigma Beta Club Documents. This link provides the necessary documents to begin you Sigma Beta Club.
- Train/Educate on March of Dimes
- Phi Beta Sigma has dedicated both time and financial resources to March of Dimes, as part of our commitment to “Culture for Service, Service to Humanity”, chapters are encouraged to facilitate workshops on “Building Strong Fathers” to promote and encourage young fathers to be active in the lives of their children. This program is presented in part with March of Dimes. Resources are available by contacting your local March of Dimes office, contacting the office will also provide information for upcoming events and volunteer opportunities. Additional resources available in presenting this workshop can be found at: Sigma Wellness or at Strong Fathers. After completing this workshop, we ask that you send pictures and utilize the PIA system to describe your event and provide best practices that other chapters will be able to use when conducting this program.
- Information on how-to begin the process of developing a relationship with a school and maintaining the relationship can be downloaded. Our International Director of Education has put together powerpoint training modules to assist our chapters in exceeding in this initiative.
- Sponsor 2 Job Fairs throughout the Country (to include Conclave 2015)
- Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity will present our first Job Fair at the 2015 Conclave in Little Rock, Arkansas. Chapters are encouraged to develop similar type job fairs locally or to support local job fair endeavors.
- Sponsor a Business Expo at Conclave 2015
- As an added bonus to Conclave 2015 a Business Expo highlighting career opportunities, career preparation and training events, and networking opportunities will be available to our conference attendees. It is our hope to see you in Little Rock to participate and be a part of the first event of this type.
- Target Congressional Leaders in at least 10 States
- Coming soon
- Providing $1,000,000 in scholarships (since January 2014)
- Coming soon
- Educate 10,000 African American males on the essentials of mentoring (can be done at state and/or regional conferences or as a chapter workshop)
- Coming soon
- Securing state, federal, and private funding to support the programs
- Coming soon
Sigma Beta Club Chapters
GOAL | 25
ACTUAL | 21
IAMBK Scholarship Dollars
Eastern Region | 28,900,22%
Great Lakes Region | 5,780,4%
Gulf Coast Region | 34,250,26%
Southern Region | 11,250,9%
Southeastern Region | 4,500,3%
Southwestern Region | 36,000,28%
Western Region | 9,950,8%
Eastern Region | 3
Great Lakes Region | 3
Gulf Coast Region | 6
Southern Region | 7
Southeastern Region | 3
Southwestern Region | 2
Western Region | 6